Interview non-state actors and the information environment 2050

Dear sir/madam,

My name is Lisa Bergsten and I am an analyst at the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI). Together with my colleague Sofia Olsson I am currently conducting a study on non-state actors and the information environment in 2050. As part of our research, we will be visiting Washington DC between March 11-16 to conduct interviews.

We found Open Technology Fund, and believe someone from your organization would have interesting perspectives to share regarding the future information environment. Do you have anyone who would be suitable and available for an interview regarding the information environment and non-state actors in 2050?

If so, we kindly ask you to get back to us with their contact information, alternatively ask them to contact us. The study will be published openly, but the interview-material will be anonymised.

Our study aims to describe what the information environment could look like in 2050, and what significant role non-state actors could play in its development. We also aim to discover and examine possible critical uncertainties and game changers, which can influence the information environment in 2050. The study does not aim to predict the future, but to explore it, and we are not focusing on the role of states.

Information environment is defined as “a description of networks and the relationships between information technologies, information and actors.” This includes the cognitive dimension of the information environment, i.e. how information affects people’s ability to perceive themselves, their surroundings, and then consciously or unconsciously act in a certain way.

We have a broad view of non-state actors – it include actors like companies, NGOs and activist groups, violent extremists, terrorist groups, so-called “service providers” (i.e. actors who are paid to, for example, spread disinformation or conduct other activities in the information environment) and loosely connected networks.

The interview is expected to be around 1 to 1,5 hour, and will be focused on the following questions:

1. What would you say are the critical factors for future developments in the information environment for non-state actors?

2. What does a future information environment with several different types of active non-governmental actors look like? Which important factors could influence it?

3. What does a future information environment, which has only a few active non-governmental actors, look like? Which important factors could influence it?

4. What changes would need to take place to move towards a more desirable development (for non-state actors)?

5. If we look back historically (and in the near future), what events have shaped the development?

6. What could happen in the future that drastically changes the development? (in positive or negative direction, game changer). What may be a sign that a game changer may be about to happen?

I hope this sounds interesting and looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Lisa

image002.png

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.